This is our new chandelier for the office.
I love the way it looks now, but when it started it looked like this:
This old brass chandelier was originally hanging in the bedroom. When we put up new lighting in the bedroom we took this down. Mike figured we'd put it in the trash. Mike was WRONG. He didn't know that I had a plan for this baby involving Dawn dishwashing liquid, apple cider vinegar and four cans of spray paint.
First I took off all of the parts that were easily take-off-able and scrubbed everything down with dishwashing detergent. Then I soaked the loose pieces in a strong apple cider vinegar solution, and applied straight apple cider vinegar to the rest of the chandelier with a cloth. I let it sit for a day or two and then rinsed off the vinegar and gave it one more good cleaning with Dawn.
Next I took it out to the backyard and hit it with several coats of white primer spray paint. I used Krylon because it was the only brand they had at the nearest hardware store. It worked great.
I let the primer dry overnight and then put on the color - a nice bright yellow.
I sprayed the bits and pieces separately. It took a number of coats of paint to achieve a smooth even color.
I threaded the tubular candle sticks on a long strip of cardboard to keep them still while I painted.
After another day or two of drying time, I put the whole thing back together.
Because I wasn't sure I had done the wiring correctly, I spliced the main cord to an old extension cord and plugged it into a wall outlet to make sure it worked. It worked!
Mike did the installation while the Karabouts dolls looked on.
And here's the final effect.